Tuesday, February 16, 2016

WHAT I ATE TODAY.

I didn’t have that much with me, but I made it work!

When Felix and I packed food yesterday, we did’t really think about meals. We were rushing out, and so we just grabbed a few items from the kitchen and brought them to the flat we are staying at the moment.
So this morning, when I woke up and attempted to make my usual breakfast, I realised I forgot so much stuff I needed to recreate my usual meals, but I didn’t let that stop me!

I decided to make some porridge, as usual, but not having honey and cinnamon, which I normally go crazy with, I instead went for sugar and a sliced banana. Notice that I didn’t even have the right sugar, just icing sugar… oh well, to be honest, I didn’t mind it that much as I grew up sucking on spoons of icing sugar, so it was still an okay choice for me.
The way I prepare my quick porridge is by pouring any amount of oats on a cup, adding water and milk in half the amount each. If, let’s say, I have 100 grams of oats, I would go for 50 water and 50 milk – does that make sense?
I then heat it up on the microwave for about a minute and a half, I add my toppings (today banana and sugar) and voilà: breakfast is served.

Moving onto lunch, this was much easier: I made “spaghetti all carbonara”. The only thing I had to get around was the fact that I didn’t bring sea salt flakes, we only had the thin kind we left behind a few months ago. But that had to do.
I put the water to boil, salted as well as I could, and started cooking the spaghetti as usual.
The next step was to prepare the sliced pancetta (bacon) by pouring a bit of oil on a pan and let it cook slowly.
Ten minutes after, both the spaghetti and the pancetta were ready, and so I removed the water, placed the everything into the pot and added two eggs (generally you add one egg per person).
As you keep the fire low, mix everything together for a bit, and then even this dish is complete!

So that brings us to dinner. This was probably the most complicated choice to make, because I brought with me tons of veggies, but Felix does not eat very much of them… so I had to be creative and make something out of what I had that I knew he would enjoy.
I ended up making “swede fries” and “octopus sausages”.
Sounds like a strange meal haha.
I started by cleaning and cutting the rutabaga into slices. If you try to do this, be careful, as it’s quite hard to cut through it. I then laid out each piece on some oven paper, covering them with olive oil and salt. If you never ate this before, it basically is a substitute for sweet potato fries, which Felix doesn’t eat.
I placed the tray in the oven for about 30 minutes on 220’C. Meanwhile, I cut in half a bunch of “thin german sausages” (I have no idea how to describe them), leaving the round top untouched, but cutting a cross at the bottom of each.
I let them cook on a low fire for about 10 minutes, took out the fries and put together the final dish.

And that’s all!
If I had more options I probably would have cooked different things for breakfast and dinner, but it was fun to come up with alternatives and taste something a bit different; it really all turned out great anyway!
What have you eaten today?



No comments:

Post a Comment