Tuesday, April 26, 2016

5th DAY HAIR.

Let’s talk about hair!
MY OUTFIT // Top: OLIVE  CLOTHING

Lots of people on Youtube and Instagram compliment my “healthy” hair, but it’s about time I let you all know my hair is far from being healthy.
In this post, I’m going to talk a bit about the products I use, the way I style my hair and the wash process. I’ve also decided to take pictures of my hair today being the 5th day I haven’t washed it or styled it, so that you see how it would look like without trying… as you can tell, it’s pretty dry!
The first thing I’m going to talk about is how often I wash my hair: as a teenager, I would wash it daily, without realising how much damage that would cause. Not only because of using heat to dry it, but because applying so much product caused me to have to use more and more in order for it to feel clean, and at the same time my hair wasn’t “breathing” as I was removing all the natural oils from it.
When I hit my twenties, I discovered dry shampoos, and that changed everything!
I would be able to wash my hair every other day… but soon enough, I got tired of having to dry so much hair, so I decided to try and go as long as I could without washing it.
I should also mention, for people who don’t know, that I wear hair extensions, the keratin kind (in which small strands of hair are glued at the base to your own). My natural hair is quite long, it reaches – if not passes – my chest, but it’s extremely thin. That means that no matter what, my hair would never look full on it’s on, and because of it, many years ago, I’ve decided to have extensions added in. Even if I ever decided to cut my hair short, I would still add extensions for volume, because otherwise my hair would just stick to my face… and that wouldn’t be a very nice look for me. I’ve seen girls with thin hair and rocking it, but in my opinion, fuller hair makes my features look softer, which I prefer.
Anyway, over time, desperate to understand how I could possibly get slightly healthier hair, I looked up a bunch of videos on YT: eventually I saw one about a girl claiming you could wash your hair even just once a week, because if you “train” it to be washed so little, it would adjust and not look too oily by the end of the week. And so I tried, and to this day I can confidently keep my hair unwashed for 5 days. I have gone for more, and sometimes less if needed, but generally 5 days is great for me.
This way I don’t put too much heat on my hair, I don’t waste time drying it, and it doesn’t need to be look after as much.
Unfortunately, because my hair is so thin and I do have extensions, it still breaks at a certain point, and it is also very dry and overall damaged. This is why I keep it my natural shade most of the time, staying away from dyes, at least at the base. My hair wouldn’t be able to take it, but luckily enough, I’m pretty happy with my colour as long as I have some highlights to add some dimensions to it.
So these are some of the products I always go back to. I try to change every time I finish a tube of these, but I somehow end up buying them again because they are the only products I know will make my hair feel soft and look nicer, although they don’t really fix the damage.
I use the Ultimate Blends line by Garnier, and I do know that the conditioner is for blonde hair, but the fact that there is chamomile in it just makes me want to buy it; plus, it stills works nicely. The mask is probably the best I’ve ever put on my hair so far, and I feel like even the shampoo is pretty great.
I used to do lots of homemade hair masks, but not seeing great results, I pretty much gave up. If you know of any that really does work for you, let me know!
Now onto styling, I first spray a heat protecting product all over my hair (I don’t know if the one I use is good or not, I can’t tell) before starting to dry it, and then go on and dry about 70% of it and then let it dry on its own. I wash my hair at night, which means that sometimes I use a “doughnut” to make a bun (or simply twist my hair and secure it with a hair tie) and in the morning I wake up with beautifully waved hair… but that doesn’t happen often, so I do take out a curling wand and that does the trick. I would rather not apply so much heat, but having extremely straight hair, that’s the only option, most of the time.
Before curling it, I always apply an oil to the ends, just to make them look glossier. I also find that this way the curl holds a bit better and looks more defined.
The only hairbrush I ever use, and this is been for years, is the Tangle Teezer – it does everything I want: I can brush my whole head without getting caught on the extensions; it’s a very gentle brush, so it doesn’t rip my hair off; and more importantly, I can easily tease big areas of my head very quickly (to get that extra volume).
Then I will go on and set everything with a strong hairspray (usually by Tresemmé), but even that won’t last for long with the wind here in Brighton…
So if I’ve curled my hair in the first or second day, instead of touching up with more heat, I usually try to either do an up-do, or use a texturising spray, so that I just scrunch my hair a bit and the waves look fuller, as if they are freshly done. And in the same way, if I find that it’s losing volume, I may spray a bit of dry shampoo. The best one I’ve ever tried is the Batiste one, I will probably always stick with this!
But that’s about it. That’s how I “fake” healthy, voluminous hair. Unfortunately this is the best I can do, but if you do have any suggestions for me, please let me know!
Is there a product you absolutely love for your hair?

Marzia.




No comments:

Post a Comment